It is an honour and a privilege for episode thirty-two of The Presentation Boss Podcast to have special guest Matthew Dicks join us all the way from Connecticut, USA. When he agreed to be on the show, Thomas admits he did squeal just a little bit. He is a huge inspiration to both Kate and Thomas through his work as a storyteller, podcaster and ruthlessly efficient human being.
Despite the fifteen hour time difference, a valuable and enjoyable relationship has built between Kate, Thomas, Matt and his wife, Elysha. There is most likely nobody on the planet better at both telling stories from the stage and being able to forensically dissect storytelling down to its barest elements, devices and psychology. This is going to be a damn good conversation on the show today; the definitive guide to storytelling in a presentation.
About Our Guest
Matthew Dicks is an elementary school teacher and the internationally bestselling author of several books including his latest, Twenty-one Truths About Love, Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend, Something Missing, and Storyworthy: Engage Teach, Persuade, and Change Your Life Through the Power of Storytelling.
He’s the founder and artistic director of Speak Up,
a Hartford-based storytelling organization that produces shows and teaches
storytelling to corporations, nonprofits, universities, and individuals. He’s a
record 45-time Moth StorySLAM winner and 6-time GrandSLAM champion. Matt is
also a podcaster, wedding DJ, minister, and standup comic. He loves eating ice
cream cake, playing golf poorly, tickling his children, staring at his wife,
and not sleeping.
What You’ll Learn
• What a story IS, and what a story IS NOT
• Why transformation in a story is so important
• The value in telling stories about small moments vs big events or life stories
• How storytelling fits into a corporate presentation be it internal or outwards to stakeholders
• The first step someone should take if they’re ready to add stories into their presentations
Mentioned In The Show
• Matthew’s Website: http://www.matthewdicks.com/
• Matt’s Awesome Book: Storyworthy: Engage, Teach, Persuade, and Change Your Life through the Power of Storytelling
Other Great Things of Matt’s Worth Showing You
• Matthew’s New Book, 21 Truths About Love
Resources and Links
• Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
• The Presentation Boss Podcast: https://presentationboss.com.au/podcast/
• Kate on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kate-norris/
• Thomas on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/thomas-krafft/
• Presentation Boss on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/presentationboss/
• Presentation Boss on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/presentation-boss