It’s your lucky day! Episode eighty of The Presentation Boss Podcast. Joining us today is Irish author, speaker trainer and stand-up comic, David Nihill. His philosophy around hacking public speaking, combined with his leverage of using Stand-Up techniques means he has a grounded, sensible but effective approach to what works in presentations.
The interview starts with a bit of fun, but soon settles into a conversation with loads of stories and a huge amount of great advice. David wouldn’t let us move on until he’d made sure he shared all the tips and techniques he had prepared to talk about. Can’t argue with that dedication to service!
Show your support for this episode on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/presentationboss
About Our Guest
David Nihill is the author of the best-selling book Do You Talk Funny? and the Founder of FunnyBizz Conference. His work has been featured in Inc., Lifehacker, The Huffington Post, Fast Company, Entrepreneur, Forbes, NPR, The Wall Street Journal, The Irish Independent, Newstalk, TED and The Irish Times.
“One of the best speaking coaches out there” according to Forbes.com, David’s Hacking Public Speaking program has had over 34,000 students. His book was listed by Book Authority as the #1 public speaking book of all time and his speechwriting company is used by some of the world’s leading CEO’s.
A sought after international business speaker, David also performs stand-up. He has over 40M views on his comedy videos. As a lecturer he has taught at Stanford Graduate Business School, UC Berkeley, University of Oxford and University College Dublin.
A graduate of the UCD Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School he calls San Francisco home, and was named on the Irish America 100 List, which recognizes the accomplishments Irish-American and Irish-born leaders.
What You’ll Learn
• How a simple online course launched David’s speaker coach career
• The vast difference between the importance of content compared to delivery
• Exactly how to use joke structure and comedy patterns in business presentations
• Three techniques to make even the most boring and dry content come alive
• Why you might use slides to boost the entertainment value of your presentation
• What the difference is between ‘speaking slower’ and ‘pausing’, and why one is more effective
• The benefits of memorising your talk the right way
Mentioned In The Show
• David Nihill’s website: https://davidnihill.com/
• David’s course: hackingpublicspeaking.com
Continue the Conversation:
• Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
• The Presentation Boss Podcast: https://presentationboss.com.au/podcast/
• Show your support on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/presentationboss
• Join our online community: Presentation Bosses Facebook Group