Get in, it’s episode sixty-one of The Presentation Boss Podcast. We’re joined today by another speaking genius from our big wish-list of experts we’re excited to have on the show. Today it’s Tamsen Webster of TEDx and The Red Thread fame. Kate has been following her work for years, and Thomas almost as long (you’ll have to listen to the episode to hear the story).
In this conversation, she talks deeply about refining your message, what goes into making a great talk (TED or otherwise) and the power of introverts when giving presentations. We even have a great discussion about why 5-minute talks are often better than far longer. Tamsen’s comments are well articulated, succinct and packed with value. This is a big 49 minutes!
About Our Guest
As a professional ‘Idea Whisperer’, Tamsen helps people find, build, and tell the stories of their ideas. She combined 20 years in brand and message strategy with four years as a TEDx Executive Producer to create The Red Thread®, a simple way to change how people see.. and what they do as a result. (Though as she’ll tell you, everything she knows about people, speaking, and change, she learned at Weight Watchers.) Today, Tamsen is a globe-hopping keynote speaker who consults with enterprise companies like Verizon, Johnson & Johnson, and State Street Bank on how to get their big ideas to have the impact they deserve.
What You’ll Learn
• How you can think of the difference between a big idea and a key message in a presentation
• The three connections that are the secret to successful presentation messaging
• What makes the difference between an average talk and a great talk
• The two levels a presentation must succeed on in order to drive change
• Some of the lessons we can learn from the shortest TED Talks
• How introversion positively affects presentations skills as a speaker
Mentioned In The Show
• Everything Tamsen is on her website: TamsenWebster.com
• Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
Resources and Links
• Email us: email@example.com
• The Presentation Boss Podcast: https://presentationboss.com.au/podcast/
• Kate on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kate-norris/
• Thomas on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/thomas-krafft/
• Presentation Boss on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/presentationboss/
• Presentation Boss on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/presentation-boss
Quotes from the Show
• “You already have the resources you need to be successful; some folks just have to figure out what those are”
• “So much of what people are looking for in delivery can be solved with content”